Temperzone Ltd (Auckland) had a challenge. Their paint line was ageing, slowing and creating a significant bottle-neck with the increase in production to meet the escalating demand for their large range of commercial air conditioning units.
In their quest for a state of the art solution, Temperzone turned to Jonassen Industrial Projects Limited to replace their existing plant and provide a fully automated powder coating plant.
JIPL undertook the full design, project management, installation, supervision, and commissioning services. The new paint line is located on a purpose-built 700m2 mezzanine platform to utilise the height of the building. JIPL’s comprehensive turnkey solution includes a power and free overhead conveyor to transport products from the manufacturing floor up to the high level, a fully stainless steel, four-stage, spray pre-treatment line (36 m long with the process tanks located in a bund on the lower level factory floor). The overhead conveyor continues through a pre-coating drying oven, an integrated Nordson auto-spray powder application unit and a custom designed two-stage, 38m long, curing oven with JIPL’s unique innovative air seals. Special features of the installation include a JIPL designed wastewater treatment plant and a very comprehensive control and process management system that provides real-time data and trends for control and plant management. Fully commissioned in May 2014 the plant achieved all expectations and provided Temperzone (Auckland) with the enhanced capacity they required.
The benefits achieved include:
- Smooth and efficient workflow and product handling due to the variable speed overhead power and free conveyor system
- Two speed operation to suit variable production and workpiece demands
- Higher throughput rates and maximum productivity (now single shift operation)
- Improved product quality
- Reduced operating and energy costs
- Superior de-greasing and pre-coating surface preparation
- Increased flexibility with faster colour change facility
- Environmentally sensitive with powder re-claim and reduced effluent discharge